- Posted: 07/12/2021
- Salary: £17.59 per houur
Casual Swimming Instructor – Vertas Group Limited
£17.59 per hour
Main Purpose of the Job:
The post holder will provide swimming tuition to school pupils who visit off site Swimming Pools to undertake swimming lessons provided by Vertas School Swimming
The post holder will work under the direction of the Operations Manager On a day-to-day basis.
The post holder will be required to liaise closely with Head teachers, or their representatives, to determine the appropriate curriculum requirements for each class attending the pool.
Main Activities and Responsibilities:
- Before lessons, to check all safety equipment is in place; ensure that it is in a suitable condition and appropriate to the need of the pupils
- To prepare and clear away all equipment used during the lesson
- To instruct pupils in swimming as required by the service
- To ensure the safety and well being of all pupils whilst in the pool, including rescuing and resuscitating if necessary
- To assist the class teacher to maintain good order and discipline whilst in the pool area
- To liaise with class teachers concerning the ability of pupils, their progress and any special consideration
- To liaise with Headteachers, or other designated staff of the schools to determine the appropriate curriculum requirements for each class
- To prepare lessons that provide appropriate activities for the various abilities of the pupils
- To keep simple records of the progress made by pupils and return them to the Vertas Swimming on an annual basis as directed by Vertas School Swimming.
- To liaise with the management of the pool on behalf of the Swimming Service to ensure that arrangements, including the suitability and condition of the pool, meet the requirements of the service
- To attend the twice yearly training sessions organised by Vertas School Swimming.
- To keep up to date with current approaches to the teaching of swimming and keep up to date with resuscitation and first aid techniques
- To ensure all health and safety regulations are complied with
- To carry out any other duties required by Vertas Swimming Service, as you may be reasonably called on to perform
Level of Autonomy and Decision Making:
The post holder will be responsible for decisions concerning the ability of pupils when swimming, assessment of their capability as swimmers and the method of instruction.
The post holder will take responsibility for a group of pupils once the group has been handed to them and they have been informed of the number of pupils swimming, together with any additional information about special needs.
The duty of the instructor ends when the pupils leave the water and, whilst still on poolside, are returned to the care of the teacher or school representative.
Current Objectives for the Job:
The post holder will be expected to provide activities and programmes at work that ensure as many pupils as possible are able to swim at least 25 metres and meet National Curriculum standards.
Unique Selling Points of the Job:
This is a unique opportunity to manage the swimming provision at a public pool on behalf of Vertas Schools’ Swimming Service and for ensuring the quality and service given to schools meets the high standards expected.
Educational and Qualification:
Certificate for Teaching Swimming (Level 2)
National Rescue Award or National Pool Lifeguard Qualification or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the Swimming Service. This award must be current and must remain so throughout the duration of employment with the Swimming Service. It must state the depth at which the rescue of a manikin took place
Good literacy and numeracy skills
Safeguarding qualification (children/ education)
Additional swimming qualifications related to specific disciplines e.g. life saving, water polo, disability
First Aid qualification or attendance at an approved first aid course in the past three years
Specialist Knowledge and Skills:
Up to date knowledge of the national curriculum for PE and in particular the swimming programmes of study related to the relevant key stages
Up to date knowledge of current swimming teaching practices including teaching strokes, water safety and personal survival
Ability to follow and adhere to the protocols, procedures and safety guidelines as laid down by Vertas Schools’ Swimming Service
Ability to keep records of pupils’ progress
An interest in other swimming disciplines and a commitment to broadening knowledge and experience through attendance at CPD courses organised by swimming organisations such as the ASA and/or Vertas Schools’ Swimming Service
An interest in promoting swimming within the local schools’ community
Knowledge of the water safety code and how it can be effectively taught to young children
Interpersonal and Communication Skills:
Good interpersonal and communication skills, including an ability to engage with a variety of people.
Ability to work independently as well as with other swimming instructors to ensure the best possible service is provided to schools
Ability to liaise with school and pool staff to resolve issues and problems that may arise from time to time
Ability to contribute ideas/suggestions to improve the work of the Swimming Service
Apply for this position
Vertas is one of the fastest growing multi-services facilities management companies in the UK. Our passion is driven by putting our colleagues and customers at the heart of everything we do.